Sunday 4 July 2021

Bible Women: Rahab, The Prostitute Who Found Grace

And Joshua saved Rahab the harlot alive, and her father's household, and all that she had; and she dwelleth in Israel even unto this day; because she hid the messengers, which Joshua sent to spy out Jericho. Jos 6:25  

Names are Hard to Erase

It is the one distinction about the Bible. Its faithfulness. So even though she found grace with God, but it still calls her by her old profession’s name - ‘Rahab the harlot’ (Jam 2:25; Heb 11:31).

It is a testimony to the breadth, and length, and depth, and height of the grace of God. There is nowhere it cannot reach. It saves to the uttermost. Has it found you yet or are you still called by your old name?

From the Dust of death to the Grace of God

There are many who presume that prostitutes have no heart. But I have a testimony that they do, for I have had more relationships with prostitutes in my life than I’ve had with normal women.

For about ten years I was a truck driver (which belonged to my father). And as a truck driver I traversed the country and there is virtually no town in Kenya I haven’t slept in. And I didn’t sleep alone. My fellow truck drivers told me it wasn’t normal for an African man to sleep alone and I believed them. 

Most of them are dead now, having succumbed to AIDS. Why didn’t I catch it myself? That is the grace of God. And it is why I am not ashamed to declare his works.

Yes, most prostitutes are ravenous like a pack of hyenas. They will maul you alive if you are not looking.

But a few have a heart. And I almost fell in love with one. I loved prostitutes because they were not emotionally draining. Hers was a trade, and I got the goods I paid for.

But I met one who was different. She didn’t want my money. She wanted to be loved like a human. She wanted us to marry and have children. She wanted to live a normal life. But I felt she was becoming too possessive so I fled. (The men who deal with prostitutes are themselves prostitutes. They have no heart).

So when I read that a prostitute found grace with God I understand. I can resonate with her story, but even more, I can understand God’s unmerited grace which saves even up to the uttermost – even to a prostitute!

From a Moral Pariah to a Saint

Rahab wasn’t saved because she was good.

As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one’ (Rom 3:9-10).   

But God had mercy on her because of her faith. By her words to the messengers of God she clearly demonstrated that she believed in the sovereign God of Israel.

And she said unto the men, I know that the LORD hath given you the land, and that your terror is fallen upon us, and that all the inhabitants of the land faint because of you. For we have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red sea for you, when ye came out of Egypt; and what ye did unto the two kings of the Amorites, that were on the other side Jordan, Sihon and Og, whom ye utterly destroyed.  And as soon as we had heard these things, our hearts did melt, neither did there remain any more courage in any man, because of you: for the LORD your God, he is God in heaven above, and in earth beneath. Jos 2:9-11  

Rahab became an Israelite after the destruction of her pagan city of Jericho.

She went on to marry from Israel and entered into that unique lineage of Christ (Mat. 1:5).

She also enters into the league of Heroes of Faith, and consequently becomes a saint (Heb 11:31).

‘Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool’ (Isa 1:18).  

From Ashes to Beauty

God changes everything and he starts a new thing. We who believe were like Rahab before. Spiritually we were like harlots, dead in sins. We shut our ears and eyes to the truth. We were children of disobedience and wrath. But now, by his grace (thank God), we are saved (Eph 2:1-3). We were blind, but now we can see. We were dead, but now we are alive. The veil has lifted and everything is clear now.

And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God. 1Co 6:11  

In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace. Eph 1:7  

Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost. Tit 3:5 

God did it with Rahab. He did it with Tamar. He did it with Bathsheba. He can do it with you too if you can call on his name. He maketh a way where there is no way. He maketh rivers to spring up in the desert. He maketh beauty from ashes. So go girl! Get him!

Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you. Mat 21:31b. 

I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance. Luk 5:32  

Now when I passed by thee, and looked upon thee, behold, thy time was the time of love; and I spread my skirt over thee, and covered thy nakedness: yea, I sware unto thee, and entered into a covenant with thee, saith the Lord GOD, and thou becamest mine. Eze 16:8  

Thou hast turned for me my mourning into dancing: thou hast put off my sackcloth, and girded me with gladness; To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent. O LORD my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever. Psa 30:11-12  

No comments:

Post a Comment