Sunday 26 April 2020


HOPE IN THE TIME OF TROUBLE!

And Achan answered Joshua, and said, Indeed I have sinned against the LORD God of Israel, and thus and thus have I done. Jos 7:20  
And Joshua, and all Israel with him, took Achan the son of Zerahand they brought them unto the valley of Achor. Jos 7:24  
And Joshua said, Why hast thou troubled us? the LORD shall trouble thee this day. Jos 7:25 

Therefore, behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak comfortably unto her. And I will give her her vineyards from thence, and the valley of Achor for a door of hope: and she shall sing there, as in the days of her youth, and as in the day when she came up out of the land of Egypt. Hos 2:14-15 

Sin always brings trouble. It is what befell Israel when Achan took ‘of the accursed thing’ and the anger of the LORD was kindled against the children of Israel. But Achan was found out as sin always finds one out. Achan died because of his trouble. Achor means trouble. But the place of calamity may yet become a place of blessing. Yes we shall sing there!

There was a time when Israel sinned again and brought trouble unto themselves. And then she was exiled to Babylon – where she lost all hope. ‘By the rivers of Babylon, there we sat down, yea, we wept, when we remembered Zion.’ How could they sing the Lord’s song in a place like that, they wondered. Darkness can happen in broad daylight.

But God didn’t forget his people. No, he has never done that. It would be a travesty against his name to do that. He sent them hope, as Jeremiah records, ‘For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you an expected end. Then shall ye call upon me, and ye shall go and pray unto me, and I will hearken unto you. And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. And I will be found of you, saith the LORD: and I will turn away your captivity…’ 

God finishes what he starts. He is still working. Have you stopped your believing? He restores ruined places, Ezekiel exhorts. No doubt but we shall dance again in this place!

O Lord, ‘Thou hast shewed thy people hard things: thou hast made us to drink the wine of astonishment.’ But thanks unto you Lord because the valley of Achor has become a door of hope! We shall sing again here. We shall drink of the fruit of the vine here again. Church doors will open again. And we shall glorify your name as the only living God who is worthy to be worshipped now and forever more! Amen!

HopeisnotAshamed


No comments:

Post a Comment